Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Crochet Rocks! Yes It Does.

Have you seen these yet?

I've been enamoured with them ever since seeing them for the first time and quite often since, on Geninne's beautiful blog.

So here's my own first attempt at one.

 
I didn't use a pattern and since I only know how to chain and  treble stitch, that's what I did.



Perhaps not as exquisite as Margaret Oomen's beauties but I think I did ok.  And it's just perfect for posing with an illustration from a beautiful vintage book of Australian wildflower illustrations by Patricia Weare.  I discovered this book in a thrift store not so long ago - it was a nice find!


I think this one will be destined for a lovely little display on my craft room window sill.  I have two more similar pebbles and some different coloured thread...but perhaps I should learn a few more stitches first.

7 comments:

  1. They are really fun to look at. I'm just trying to figure out what I would do with them. Beautiful illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Kendra Sue! They ARE fun to look at..and I think that's mainly what they are for! Perhaps nice to hold too. I also joked with my hubby that if he didn't behave they would make handy missiles ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. um .... WOW! Love how you've crocheted that casing for the rock. I want to touch it... Great colours too. And perfectly compliments the illustration. You have quite an eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Much better than "okay". I've been meaning to try this out for a while. Super lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! These would look so pretty on my mantel-piece, now I just need to find me some big pebbles ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for all your lovely comments. I am absolutely itching to do another one now - they are definately something you can't do just one of! Which is good because they look so nice in groups. Some other uses for them also - paperweights or picnic blanket/alfresco tablecloth weights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your crocheted rock makes a lovely decorating feature. Great way to use up bits of yarn left over from other projects.

    ReplyDelete